Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sick Babies

       Yesterday I had the pleasure, enviable task of looking after a sick 7 month old.  Daddy is working 12s all this weekend, (4am-4pm), and of course this is the time Helo gets sick. I mean REALLY sick.  Heaving and throwing up anything put in his little belly about 30 seconds after it got there. 

       It was a long day for mommy and for Helo.  The morning started out fine. Helo got up and had his first bottle while watching an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba.  About 2 1/2 hours later, while wrapping him up for his morning nap, there was suddenly formula everywhere, and he was choking on more.  I thought I had wrapped him too tight!  I quickly grabbed him up and laid him on his side in the pack n' play, while I ran a warm sink bath for him. I put him in the sink to get him cleaned up and he promptly fell asleep. I took him out and put a diaper on him and no sooner did I get him wrapped in a clean towel did he wake up and start heaving again.  He is good at warning though! He would cry for a little bit, then start heaving, so I had plenty of time to get to the sink.  In true Helo fashion, he was his happy little self right after puking! All that wore him out however and he slept in my arms for about 2 hours.

       After about 3 rounds of puking his bottle, I called to Dr. because I wanted to keep him hydrated without giving him formula or juice.  I ended up calling daddy at work and asking him to go to the store to get some pedialyte.  Daddy was very sweet and bought 2 flavors.  We tried some pedialyte, but even that was not going to stay down.  Three towels, two sink baths and several minutes each time at the sink later, I stopped even giving him that.

      It was broke my heart to see his sad little face looking up at me from his side while laying over the sink.  He cried a little and just looked at me as if to ask what was going on and when would it stop.  All I could do was tell him it would be ok and put a cold washcloth on his neck and head.  Bubbin ended up spending most of the day wrapped in a towel, sleeping in my arms. 

       He ended up keeping only about 8oz of fluid down all day, which kept him awake all night......mommy too.  Today is better! He has gotten over whatever it was that was bothering him.  He is eating normally and keeping everything down.  Poor kid! Mommy isn't 23 anymore! I can't stay up most of the night before and have endless energy the next day!  Thanks DJ Lance and the Yo Gabba friends!!        

1 comment:

  1. Sickness must be going around!! I pray you don't catch it too! Poor Helo!

    ReplyDelete