Thursday, February 23, 2012

Reading to my son

     Helo and I have many things that we like to do together on a daily basis.  Reading is one of them. Even though they are only basic books, like colors and bugs, I believe it is a necessary thing to encourage his development. Plus, I can't get enough of the look on his face when I turn the page!  I know that reading is one of my favorite things to do, when I get free time. I hope to instill that love in him as well.  Am I wrong for not wanting my son to sit in front of the TV when he gets older? My parents strictly limited my TV watching and we didn't have money for the latest gaming system when I was young, so that was out as well. They encouraged me to read.  I LOVED my trips to the library, and I would come home with STACKS of books, that would be finished in a week! I think I was the only kid getting in trouble for being up till 3am reading. (Not watching TV or playing Nintendo) 
       I want Helo to be outside running around, or riding his bike or doing something active, if he is not reading.  Not that he will NEVER be allowed to sit in front of the boob tube, or play video games (I have a husband really into them).  I believe that reading encourages the expansion and development of vocabulary, imagination and learning in general.  Now, I am going to step off my soap box for a bit, and say that TV can be useful tool in learning, and keeping a mothers sanity.  Helo right now, is in love with Yo Gabba Gabba, and I let him watch endless amounts of it, because it lets me get stuff done around the house.  So, I can't claim total TV silence. In the meantime, my favorite time of the day will be reading after breakfast, and Goodnight Moon before bed. 

       This is for you my littlest love, the gift of the love of books and literature.  I hope you love them as much or more than I do. They will serve you well in this life, as only a reader knows.  

1 comment:

  1. We're the same way! Being raised similar to you, I can relate to no TV (we actually didn't own one at all lol) and being encouraged to read books. I can honestly say that my vocabulary and ability to spell (half way decently haha) is all thanks to my immense love for books. Hannah also watches a bit of TV, right now she loves "Barney", and "The Cat In The Hat". She too only watches TV when I need to do something that would be unwise to perform with a baby attached to my hip lol. Love reading these blogs, Angela!

    ReplyDelete